Update: Our Outdoor Music Area
The giant xylophone is now reinforced with 2x2s but needs to be connected to a post in the ground. It seems as though using the 2x2s is a much better option than the string. The sound is great, and the structure is more secure.
We have also added a few sets of chimes. One is made from bamboo that we found at the Dollar Store and cut into various lengths. (I think the longest one is 30 inches and each smaller one is 2 inches shorter than the last.). The other one is made from metal pipes that we recycled from broken clothes racks. Again, we used the same method, however with this one, we went all the way down to a 2 inch piece. (We had a lot of metal pipe!).
We also hung a mini "yooper scooper" from the fence. It makes great music too!
We're getting closer to finishing up this area. We have some copper conduit pipes that we have cut into chimes, and some that we found the exact lengths to make a musical scale. (The directions for this can be found here.) We were also able to get a large piece of plexi-glass donated that we are having cut into a drum head. We will place that in the center of the huge tractor tire. A friend of ours has a cow bell to add, and we will continue to add smaller pieces as we find them!